Sunday, November 24, 2013

Minecraft Par-to-the-Tay! Making Turning 8 Great!

Oh my, where do I start?

Our sweet little man, Will, asked for a Minecraft themed 8th birthday party this year and I have to say, his parents did not disappoint.

I also have to say this is likely the last time his parents will ever attempt to pull off such a feat!

The sheer number of man, woman and child hours we put into this event is impressive.

Scott spent a couple of hours cutting swords out of Masonite with his band saw.
I spent many untold hours - and a lot of printer ink - printing out everything from signs and sword graphics, to iron on transfers for t-shirts and cupcake picks and wrappers.

I laminated over 70 sheets of paper and then carefully cut out each set of sword graphics to make them as realistic as possible.

Every guest would receive an Iron Sword, a Creeper t-shirt and a chest in which to put their mined diamonds and gold.
I used the kids as free labor for cutting, taping and gluing.


This is not typical party preparation at our house. 

At all.  

I don't think there is a single person who would routinely use the word "crafty" to describe me or Scott.

However, this time around we thought we would go all out and give Will a party to remember, much like we've done for Eliza Grace in the past. 

No one would ever call me a baker either, but bake I did. 

And colored frosting.  

And then tried to make the frosting look like grass. 

I'm not sure who I am anymore!


Not half bad, if I do say so myself!
Before the guests arrived we set up a crafting table.
And scattered welcoming signs on our door and windows.
Full disclosure: I borrowed this door decoration from a friend of Will's who had a Minecraft themed party the week prior.  When his Mom offered it, I practically squealed with delight.

 We set out our Minecraft snacks:

  • Bucket of T-N-T (Twizzlers)
  • Sticks (pretzel sticks)
  • Apples
  • Carrots
  • Melon (Fruit by the foot)
  • Blocks (rice krispy treats)
  • Coal (grapes)
And Creeper cupcakes, of course.

We also took about 15 cardboard boxes in various sizes, hid "diamonds" in them and scattered them all over the back yard.

We set out the shirts and swords and chests for easy access.
Once we finished all the party prep, we waited for the onslaught of 13 additional munchkins.

Before we gave them their swords, each child had to raise their right hand and state that they understood that if they touched any human body part with their sword, they would lose their sword until the end of the party. I said,"Repeat after me: I, state your name."  And they DID!

We didn't plan a single structured activity during the outdoor/sword play part of the day.  And for that I'm sure the kids were very thankful!  

However, my sister, who is more fun and spontaneous than I am, came outside with a Creeper head on and threw T-N-T (Twizzlers) at the kids.  That was a BIG hit!
Kids and boxes, right?  

They had a BLAST just running around, playing with their swords, ripping open boxes for diamonds and playing in said boxes. 









Over an hour later, they'd exhausted themselves outside so we collected swords and headed inside for Lego building, toys, Minecraft music parodies and snacks.
Check out some of the live action:

We all agreed that the party was a rousing success.

Happy birthday, sweet little man Will.  We love you and are proud of the awesome kid you are and the man you will become!

No comments: