Monday, January 11, 2010

Yep, that would be me...

My friend, Amy, gave me a mug for my birthday last month. I think she knows me fairly well.
Believe it or not, I thought I was a fairly focused and attentive individual until I met Scott. I guess, given that I grew up with three sisters AND attended an all female high school, I had spent so much of my formidable years surrounded by like minds that I had not noticed that perhaps I could be a wee bit, shall we say, scattered?

So imagine my surprise when Scott would often interrupt my stream of consciousness well thought-out conversations with phrases like "focus, Jacque, focus" and "shiny objects" while shaking his head. I mean, so what if I change the subject matter in any given conversation 5 times in 2 minutes. If the male mind cannot keep up and multi-task like I can, is that my fault? (snicker, snort)

Of course, I can sometimes recognize my wandering mind when I speak. Often, I can actually catch myself, stop and finish my original thought before moving on. Mind you, it has become much worse since I had kids. But I blame that on a variety of hormones and the fact that I constantly have thoughts like, "has everyone gone potty" and "I need to get teacher gifts" floating around in my subconscious.


Regardless, if I were a kid today they would probably label my distractedness with some sort of acronym, accompanied by some sort of pharmaceutical aid. Thankfully, we all know better.

Although, perhaps that pharmaceutical aid...

No comments: