Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Always, Never and Flying Monkeys

Despite my recent post to the contrary, Eliza Grace still leans towards the negative, especially in the morning as we head out the door for school.

"I don't want to go to school."

"It is always boring."

"I never have any fun."

This morning was no exception.

As Eliza Grace began to espouse all the things about school she did not like, I predictably responded with the realities of life.

"Life is not only about having fun."

"You do enjoy lots of things about school, beyond just recess and lunch."

"There are people all over this planet who would do just about anything to have the educational experiences that you have."

"You don't have a choice, sweetie, you have to go to school so why only focus on the negative. Let's focus on the positive!"

Her negativity tends to seep into my and Will's psyche, so I was trying hard to keep us all upbeat.

Unfortunately, the conversation is a circular trap and she continued to complain about how she never has fun and is always bored, while I kept pushing for her to see the upside.

As we entered the car pool lane, I inevitably pulled out the standard "you shouldn't use the words 'always' and 'never' because it is just not true.

To which she immediately responded, "Well what about talking pigs? It's true when I can say pigs will "never" talk. And I am telling the truth when I say that monkeys will "never" fly out of my butt."

Well, she's got me there, Ed.

I couldn't control my bark of appalled laughter, which thankfully broke all the negative energy.

Of course when she gets home we will have a nice talk about certain phrases that I never want to hear her repeat.

No comments: