Monday, May 27, 2013

My Judgmental Shoes

I was reading a "Mommy" blog last week. 

The writer was talking about how she had to provide a tardy note for her child because halfway to school she realized her child had left the house without shoes. 

As I was reading, my immediate thought was,"Now really, what kind of Mother heads out of the house without making sure her children are wearing shoes?" I think I added a, "For goodness sake," in there for good measure.

Fast forward to today when we are about 30 minutes from home on our way to the beach and Scott asks me, "Did you pack shoes for Will?"

To which I responded, "No, he can just wear his flip flops."  

Then I paused a second and asked, "Will, you did put your flip flops on before you left the house, right?"

Well, I'm sure we all know the answer to that question.  

And let's not even talk about the fact that Scott noticed Will get in the car without shoes but did not think to ask about it for 30 minutes.  

No, let's focus on Miss Judgmental who recently wondered what kind of Mother would let her child leave the house for a trip somewhere without shoes.

It always comes back to bite me.

When will I learn to cast off that judgmental hat and veil myself in humility.  

Seriously, when will I learn.

On the bright side, Scott brought two pairs of shoes, so I wore his flip flops (which were ginormous, see picture above), Eliza Grace wore mine (because her foot is almost as big as mine!) and Will wore Eliza Grace's Crocs. This shoe shuffle kept us from having to go into a Wing's and spend $5 on flops for Will :)


No comments: