Thursday, October 15, 2009

Songs I Sing to My Babies- Edelweiss


Ok, stay with me here because I know this one may seem odd.

When I was pregnant with Will, I decided that since I sang Baby Mine to Eliza Grace so much, I needed to find a lullaby that was just for Will. And during this same time, Eliza Grace watched the sound of music for the first time. It was so fun sharing this movie with her and there are so many songs to love.

The scene that always got to me -and I am sure just about everyone who has ever seen it - is when the Captain is singing Edelweiss on stage and cannot finish because he gets choked up, then Maria joins in and then the kids join in and then the entire audience joins in. It would make me just weep and weep. (Dang, I am emotional, no?)

As far as I know, I am not of Austrian decent, but I doubt there is a patriot in any country that would not get choked up during that scene. So, for some reason, that song just stuck in my mind as the one I would deem as Will's lullaby.

Of course, I tweaked the final line a bit to fit my purposes. Here is the way I sing it to my Willby:

Edelweiss,
Edelweiss
Every morning you greet me
Small and white
clean and bright
You look happy to meet me

Blossom of snow may you bloom and grow
Bloom and grow forever

Edelweiss,
Edelweiss
Bless my sweet child forever.


And here is the original (click on the picture):

No comments: