Sunday, October 4, 2009

Historic Yates Mill

One of the many great things about living in this part of North Carolina is that there are so many parks, trails, historic sites and cultural activities available all year round.

One the many things that I lament is that we do not take near enough advantage of all these great things to do. I keep telling myself when Will gets older we will do more stuff, but then Scott and I will be older and will we have the energy??

Regardless, I am trying to make a greater effort to do and go and see more, which is why Eliza Grace and I recently met a friend and her kids at the Historic Yates Mill County Park in Raleigh. It was their harvest celebration and we had a great time at the beautiful park, the lake and learning lots of history about the mill.

We tried our hands at braiding wheat to make ornaments, carding and spinning wool and, even though Eliza Grace did not win the corn shucking contest, we got to take four ears of corn home for dinner!

It was a great time and I definitely want to do more of the same sometime soon~
Out front at the start of our adventure
The Mill runnin'
Eliza Grace trying to "be the corn"
Allie & Eliza Grace shucking corn

Flora

Fauna
I really do not spiders but for some reason I love to take pictures of them...go figure.

No comments: