Thursday, December 30, 2010

"Mommy, Mommy, Come Up Here!"

This morning I was quite heavily and happily asleep when Will started calling me.

"Mommy! Mommy! Come up here!"

{Sidebar}
Our bedroom is on the first floor and the kids' rooms are on the second floor. We chose this layout on purpose because we figured if we live here until we are old and feeble, we will have everything we need on one level. However I have to admit that, although long range planning is smart, I have really not enjoyed trudging up the stairs these past nearly 9 years for middle of the night/early morning feedings, diaper changes, nightmares, various and assorted sicknesses and all the other reasons a mother checks in on her kids in bed.
{End sidebar}

So I am not really keen on climbing the stairs quite yet when I hear Will bellow again.

"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" That last one came out sounding like "Maw-aw-aw-aw-meeee!

Normally a morning person, today I had to drag myself out of bed while using my loud whisper voice. "Shhhh! What do you need, Will? Everyone is still asleep!"

Given past experience I assumed he wanted me to play Legos or check out some new contraption he had built. He is one of those 'up and at 'em kids,' ready to play pretty much as soon as he opens his eyes.

"Mommy, you need to come up here!" he said.

"Will, just tell me what you need!" I whisper-shouted back. I had made it up the first five steps but was hoping to be spared the rest.

"Just come up here and I will show you!" he nearly shouted back.

"Ok, ok, I'm coming. Sheesh."

My eyes were now half open as I made it to the top of the steps.

"Ok, sweetie, what is so important?" I asked.

And he is standing there under his windows, left arm sweeping to the side like a showroom model. He had pulled back his curtains, opened his blinds and had the biggest, sweetest smile on his face.

"Mommy, look! Isn't that the most beautiful sunrise you've ever seen?"

The sky was all soft and pink and glowy, as the sun was just beginning to rise up over the neighborhood roof tops.

Yes, the sunrise was really beautiful.

But knowing my sweet little man saw beauty in a sunrise and wanted to share it with me? Well, that was worth way more than losing a little sleep walking up a few steps.

No comments: