Saturday, June 18, 2011

"I'm Going Back to Charleston Where I Belong!"

"I'm going back to dignity and grace.I'm going back to Charleston where I belong!"Rhett Butler in Gone With The Wind"

Charleston, South Carolina is by far my favorite Southern city. It may well be my favorite city in the entire United States but I hesitate to go that far since, unfortunately, there are many, many places I have not yet been.

Regardless, I love Charleston. No matter how many times I visit, I still feel like I could spend days and days wandering the cobblestone streets, visiting old cemeteries, sitting in sidewalk cafes, taking pictures, eating crab cakes, peering through windows, marveling at the architecture, shopping in the market place, imagining what it would be like to live in the gorgeous water front homes and so much more!

I've taken so many pictures this week that I'm going to do a couple of posts just to fit them all in!

I'll start with the sights around The Battery and Meeting and Market Streets.

Unique cast iron medallions in the sidewalks.
Not sure what it is about wrought iron gates and railings that I find so fascinating, but I do.
Unique water features.
All the gas lanterns.
Old brick walls. (Looking down the side of the market place.)
Rose windows in a beautiful, old church.

A majestic steeple from another.
Up next: Old cemeteries!

No comments: