Friday, September 10, 2010

Checking Another One Off the List...Finally!

Along with all the painting projects we have been doing over the past couple of months, we have also been trying to finish our kitchen upgrades.

The installation on the new travertine tile back splash started about 6 weeks ago, but was not completed because the accent tile we ordered was apparently out of stock.

Did they tell us this before they showed up to do the installation? No.

Did they try to get us to use a different style of accent tile? Yes.

Did I agree to the change? No.

Which is why the back splash sat halfway done for the past 6 weeks:
Updates each week (initiated by me, the customer, and not the company who messed up) went like this:

Week 1:
"Hi Louisa, it's Jacque checking in on the tile order."

"Hi. I was going to call the manufacturer later this week to find out if they have shipped it yet. I will give you a call soon."

Week 2:
"Hi Louisa, it's Jacque checking in on the tile order."

"Hi. I called the manufacturer today and they said they will have it made and ready to ship by July 31. I will give you a call when it comes in and we will schedule the installation."

Week 3:
"Hi Louisa, it's Jacque checking in on the tile order"

"Hi. I called the manufacturer and they said it will be more like August 15 before they can get it to us."

Week 4:
"Hi Louisa, it's Jacque checking in on the tile order."

"Yes. I called the manufacturer and now they said they are looking at more like August 30."

Week 5:
"Hi Louisa, it's Jacque checking in on the tile order."

"Yes, I saw the caller ID that it was you."

[Sidebar: Oh no she didn't! The attitude is coming out!]

"
I called the manufacturer and they said they have the product and it will arrive on Monday, September 6."


Week 6:
"Hi Louisa, it's Jacque checking in on the tile order."

"Uh huh. So it looks like it might arrive on Friday, September 10. Can we schedule a time to install it that next week?"

"Nope. As I shared with you last week, that week will not work for us."

"Oh, um ok. Well I will call you when it comes in and we can schedule something."

Week 6, part 2:
"Hi, guess what? The tile is in! Can we come install today?"

"Well, no, because I have not arranged to be home all day today. How about tomorrow?"

"I am not sure that will work but let me check."

(and I get to listen to what I assume is background chatter about the annoying customer who has been hounding them about finishing the job but will not drop everything with 5 minutes notice to sit at home all day while they finish the job)

"Tomorrow will not work. How about Friday?"

"Yes, that will work."

And now, it is Friday. Here is what it looked like at 1:30pm EDT:
See that 2 inches of glass and travertine tile?

It is that for which we waited 6 weeks. And I am really glad we waited as it adds just the right personalized touch.
Promises have been made for the installer to return and finish the grouting job before the end of the day.

Here's praying it all comes together!

No comments: